What is Topology Optimization?
Topology optimization is a computer-controlled process to calculate an object’s optimal shape. For this, the software discretizes a domain into individuals. A practical example is a programme that finds the most substantial possible structure with a given volume of material in a rough design space. Thus, there are many different types of Topology Optimization possible. Decide yourself depending on your company’s goal with this optimization.
How to Process Topology Optimization?
Starting the topology optimization process, the software needs a rough design with remarkable points. When optimizing a shape, the program computes its function and constraints on an element level. Besides, it discretizes and simulates the object’s structure with finite elements. Then, it calculates a new density distribution called “guess structure” for the next iteration. The computer repeats this process until the density distribution changes to an optimum. The resulting data can be 3D printed or manufactured with any other method in our portfolio. See our engineering services for deeper insights into our offered services.
- Long-term savings in material and manufacturing costs
- Reduces design iterations
- Practice experience is not necessary because a computational system develops the optimal structure.
- Thanks to additive manufacturing, the design is not constrained concerning geometrics.
Critical Factors Considering Topology Optimization
- In performance-based Optimization, the weight reduction can be more minor than in other techniques.
- The challenge for engineers when converting the obtained solution into CAD data. It might be complicated to fabricate real parts.
- Can be solved by using our value-added services
- Executing engineers need to be familiar with the complexity of the programs and the process.